Monday, August 14, 2006

What's Ahead

A couple of years ago, I asked God for help losing weight, because I wasn't getting anywhere on my own.

I weigh 415 pounds now. I've lost 40 pounds since I was in the hospital in February, added to 10 pounds the whole previous year. So that's 50 pounds down from my top weight of 465 pounds. To tell you the truth, I never thought it would happen. I felt so helpless and hopeless about losing weight. I really struggled for that first 10 pounds! And yet the next 40 seemed effortless. I haven't completely re-vamped my diet or gone vegan either. All I really did was [1] paid attention and [2] absolutely refused to feel guilty on the numerous occasions when I didn't pay attention!

As a result of learning to manage my blood glucose levels (I was diagnosed with diabetes in February), I've gradually become more attentive to portion size; recommended servings of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats; and the length of time between meals and snacks. And now that I've finally experienced the impossible--weight-loss success--I am no longer afraid that I'll never make it to a normal weight. I know now that it is doable . . . for me! And that I won't feel miserable or famished or scared or whatever while I'm losing.

I am already experiencing some rewards for dropping the first 50 pounds: I can stand longer than 15 minutes at the sink to do dishes (yes, they piled up). I can get up and down the basement stairs to do laundry (I had been hand-washing everything I wear). And instead of getting ready to buy 7X clothes, I'll be buying 5X this fall (my 6X waistbands are getting loose . . . hooray!).

My neice is getting married next February 10th, and I'd like to lose another 50 pounds between now and then . . . that's just short of 6 months. The great thing about it is, I know this next 50 pounds will probably come off just as easily as the last 40. Paying attention to just a handful of things has become routine. What's more, since I know that I will be making other changes for the better in my diet as well as in other areas of my life, the next 50 pounds may be even easier to drop!

Thank you, my Lord! I stand in awe!

No comments: